PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 14th Mar 2020, 08:25
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RexBanner
I’ve seen this compared to 9/11 a lot but in terms of the bounce back there will (provided people still have their jobs -big question) be a lot of pent up demand. Don’t forget that in 2001 people had just watched a commercial airliner plough deliberately into a skyscraper in New York, psychologically horrifying as it was just unimaginable at that time. People were physically scared of getting on an aircraft because of these images’ effect on the psyche. Now the fear is largely confined to not being able to get back from their destinations if a quarantine/lockdown is put in place. If those have been lifted then there’s not much to actually dissuade people from starting to travel again aside from the money in their wallet which, as I said earlier, is the big factor here.
People refer to 2001 9/11 because their remember it . I am ( unfortunately) old enough to remember the 1973-74 oil embargo crisis , and this is much more similar .

It started with a crash of the stock exchange following an oil embargo to certain countries, Netherlands was one of them and this is where I was living at the time . Flights were banned , aircraft grounded, , cars prohibited to drive on Sundays , heating oil and electricity was rationed with tickets, and emergency powers given to Governments to impose prison sentences to citizens not following the new rules.. Social unrest followed , government fell and fortunately it stopped right in time to avoid complete chaos The whole story you can read on Internet..
Travel bans looks great on TV to appease public opinion but are creating far more issues than what they are suppose to achieve. the virus is already present everywhere it does not stop at the borders.,But our Industry is the first one that is hit by those bans
As the Chinese A350 bringing expertise and respirators to Italy showed yesterday , Aviation is not spreading the virus , it will be essential to fight it too...so let's keep it up while it still can..