PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 14th Mar 2020, 04:09
plotplot

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AP3XS
PlotPlot, it's not a hasty decision, but unfortunately a forced one. I am one of the pilots at TSA so I was going to be out of job by the end of the year however a memo was sent out yesterday that due to the reduction in United flying there will not be as much need for regional flying and as such I'd be surprised if TSA is around by May/June.

As for why I am not going to other companies:
CommutAir - $22k sign on bonus which is nice however only have EWR and IAH as bases. I have no interest in living in either of those places and I really don't want to commute.
ExpressJet - Basically have put hiring on hold, will have to retrain all 175 pilots on the 145 slowing training significantly, also reserve times are going to blow out to 12 months or more. I think you may be being very optimistic with your XJT outlook.
Mesa - Not hiring E3's at the moment it seems, no one can get a hold of anyone in recruiting.
GoJet - About to start cancelling FO classes and beginning to furlough pilots.
Skywest - Not hiring Aussies on E3's, only those currently at TSA.

On top of all this United have reduced all their regional flying by at least 25%, Delta by 40%, pilots are not moving on because no one is hiring so you won't move up seniority very quickly at all. Earning a $35k per year salary as an FO with very little in the way of bonuses, not much flying and a high chance of being furloughed if you're at the bottom of the seniority list, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Perhaps I get a job in Aus and perhaps I don't but even if I don't, I'm going to be in Aus where I get free health care and can do any job, i'm not just limited to one company like you are with an E3. It's just a big risk at the moment to go over there, especially if you're leaving a stable job in Aus.

For those willing to take that risk, they will be in a good spot when this does all blow over in 6-18 months because they would be on the seniority list - kudos to you. I just can't afford to be out of a job for an extended period and I don't want to be stuck in the US when that does happen.
Very sorry to hear that you were among the unlucky group at TSA. Such a horrible corner to be backed into and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. And yes I agree I was looking through some rose-tinted glasses there regarding movement. Definitely staying put where I am for the moment and see what happens in 6-12 months, though my best guess at this point is nothing good. Best of luck to you and to anyone that decides to take the risk.