PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 14th Mar 2020, 02:13
LostWanderer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Plotplot,

A bit more info for you.

Delta are parking 300 aircraft. A schedule reduction of 40%
AA are parking the remaining 757/767 aircraft.
UAL management have said that they see this as worse than 9/11 and planning for a worst case of 18 months for loads to return pre COVID-19 levels.
No plans as yet for parking aircraft at UAL but it won’t be a surprise if the older P&W 75’s are parked.

I need to check it out but there may well be a flow-back clause in the UAL contract, which would mean that if UAL pilots are furloughed, they can go to express carriers. Again, I’m not sure but I received an email form UAL ALPA a few days ago and this was mentioned.

There is unlikely to be any hiring at UAL, DAL or AA for the rest of the year. My personal opinion but not unlikely. Any retirements will simply offset the need to furlough. So the forecast need and attrition at the regionals is probably no longer valid.

If I was in Oz and waiting to come over or thinking about it, I’d sit it out for 3-6 months to get a better idea. We’re in completely uncharted waters here and no one knows how long this mess will take to stabilise.
Crazy times... just heard from a mate still in the US that GoJet are looking like they are heading the way of Compass and are just about to lose all Delta flying significantly earlier than planned and one of their bases as well, Furloughs expected any day. And Compass who furloughed 300 crew yesterday apparently, TSA who will be lucky to survive til May and word is Mesa may cut back pilots soon after losing a large amount of their flying. So sad to see things have gone from jobs for everyone to lucky to have a job by the end of the week.

You are spot on, 3-6 months is a good bet. It really is a terrible time to be sitting at the bottom of any seniority list right now in the US - or anywhere really. There is going to be some painful times for some of us Aussies who are still in the US in the coming weeks. I would expect when this bloodshed is over there will only be a handful of regionals left.

Hoping for the best for all of you, the stress this virus is causing staff in the industry is unbearable.