PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 12th Mar 2020, 22:15
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Scott
As I understand it there is no longer any form in EFT or ME lead-in, which is the point.
Ken, you need better sources my dear chap. EFT is set for all ab initio students - either 57 Sqn (more in a second), 16 Sqn or on a UAS.

16Sqn/UAS on the Tutor - roughly 45-50 hours of flying to streaming. (The contract for Tutor runs out for 16 Sqn around 2022).
57 Sqn on the Prefect - roughly 25 hours live and some synthetic to streaming.

Those that stream Rotary go to Shawbury for Basic Rotary Trg (BRT) next.

Those that stream FJ continue on the Prefect/Tutor for Fast Jet Lead In before going to Basic Flying Trg (BFT) on the Texan at Valley.

Those that stream ME will continue on the Prefect/Tutor for either Multi-Engine Lead In (MELIN) if they are going on to Phenom Multi-Engine Pilot Trg (MEPT) or on the Multi-Engine Enrichment Course (MEEC) before they go to fly the Diamond DA42 on the Multi-Engine Out Source (ME(OS)) Course. The MEEC gives extra CRM, Low Level and Formation as ME(OS) does not provide that enrichment required for military ME pilots. The ME(OS) students also complete the Multi-Crew Coop (MCC) course as completed by all airline pilots in the civvy world too. The MELIN does the same low level and formation, but to a lesser extent as I understand, as there is a little bit more (as already mentioned) on the Phenom.

As I said before, there is very little ME formation or low level trg in the syllabus and there wasn’t much on King Air either. Flying formation in a big twin/four jet is a bit different anyway and the studes will be crewed with an experienced Captain on the front line anyway for at least the first tour.