PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Airport History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2020, 17:27
HZ123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a PC in the British Airports Constabulary at STN from 72-75, living at the Chequers Ugly. I recall the Saturn Airways stretch DC8 and the Indian Air force Connies. I recall TMAC refurbishing a CL44 which had sat on its belly for a number of years closeby the TMAC Hangar. additionally the Carvairs, the Ford fleet a number of the crews drunk in the Chequers and the BAA Ops Manager was a guy called Frank Quick who had been a fighter pilot in WW11, he used have a Cessna 150 and would fly to LGW to pick up a twin to do lighting check at LGW and LHR. I accompanied him a couple of times and I recall landing back in the dark as it was practice to switch off the runway lights, saving monies and he new it like the back of his hand.

My first introduction was to go there for a couple of days to guard Donaldson's 707 that was in ELAL livery, the former having gone broke. Nothing changes in UK aviation.

Some of you may also remember the armed robbery at the terminal Nat West Bank, originally blamed on the IRA, then turning out to be a BAA Duty Officer and an Airport fireman. Such happy memories of the airport and its surrounds