PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2003, 15:46
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A contact tells me that OVN (the Independent Pilots Association NL) has been achieving results. The union put forward a strong case that the existing SAR capacity was inadequate and has persuaded the oil companies in NOGEPA to take action.

NAM/Shell have addressed the lack of radio cover over sea and are now installing new transmitters/receivers all over the North sea to guarantee full radio cover down to the deck.

In addition, the Dutch government has given a commitment that the ageing ssr-only radar at Den Helder will be replaced with a more powerful radar that has primary capability as well.

Discussions are continuing with the government, NOGEPA, ATC and other agencies to improve the working conditions of Dutch offshore pilots.
OVN is expected to produce an advice paper for the Minister of Transport in the next few weeks outlining what it has identified as the improvements necessary in the interest of flight safety.
eg The union argues that the ageing Dutch Navy Lynxes are too small and slow to do the job.

OVN is small union but, from what my contact tells me, it appears to be getting results.