PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The creation of Air UK. Why did it happen ?
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:32
Simplythebeast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall flying to Tunisia as a passenger with AirUK. The return flight was interesting as we left SFAX enroute to (I think) Gatwick the aircraft (BAC1-11) didnt climb as one would expect and the Captain advised us that there was an issue with cabin pressurisation so he was diverting to Tunis.
On landing at Tunis passengers were taken to the lounge to await the A/C being repaired. We could quite clearly see the aircraft on the apron and we watched as the Captain and FO got a set of ladders, climbed up, opened the engine cowling and pottered about with a spanner before closing it up, climbing down and shortly afterwards we reboarded. The Captain then told us that he thought he had fixed the issue and we were on our way.
He invited anyone interested to have a look in the cockpit so I went up and had a look. I joked that if he diverted again over the UK could he perhaps fly into Teesside airport to save us the train journey home. He pointed at the fuel gauges and said we will be lucky to divert anywhere as they wouldnt accept the credit card for fuel at Tunis. Im pretty sure he would have been joking but maybe not? Happy days around about 1980.