PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services-2
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:28
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time may well be playing tricks with my memory, however, I well remember that from the late 50s onwards Jersey Airlines operated from Exeter using DC3s (later Heralds) serving the route on a triangular basis (Exeter/Guernsey/Jersey) , more or less daily in the winter ; & in the summer, daily during the week with a “stand alone” Jersey service at the weekend. Later, AUK operated on much the same basis. As far as I remember, there was not a “stand alone” service to Guernsey on a prolonged basis - if ever. I would not claim infallibility on this point, but the point I was trying to make was that Guernsey - Exeter is not “a money spinner” operated “stand alone”. And, certainly not with another airline operating in competition. It is possible that there have been occasions over this length of time when Jersey was not involved in the route (I am not sitting here poring over old timetables) but, having been in Jersey ATC from 1978 until 2007, I cannot recollect any great length of time when the route was “stand alone” to Guernsey. It is my contention that this largely continued to be the case after Jersey European took over the route. Again, there may have been some flights not involving Jersey, but not often , & not for long. Just looking at your citation of the AUK Stansted- Guernsey - Exeter - Jersey - Exeter - Guernsey - Stansted service ; by your own statement, this was only operated on a Saturday in the summer of 1988. As such, this is not a great endorsement that direct return services have been very frequent , or very much in demand on a prolonged basis. But, I would admit that you might be correct with the information that you have provided - although, I do not consider that it makes a very great contribution to the debate. Have you anything more substantial ?

Last edited by kcockayne; 11th Mar 2020 at 21:52. Reason: Extra information