PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockhart Crash
Thread: Lockhart Crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 21:18
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Archie Bargy
Anyone with local knowledge guess why a Mayor would say this? It’s like ‘everyone knows’. Is it really that difficult?
Aside the lack of alternates available in close proximity, I have been there, and didn’t find it challenging. But that’s coming from someone who trained up here, someone from Sydney might find it a challenge. The only challenges I have seen others face in this part of the world is decision making. Go or No Go. If in doubt, they normally go. A locally trained pilot up this way might think differently.

If he is referring to flying in monsoon season well that’s no different to the rest of the region. That’s a PIC call.

To end up in the sand dunes where they did, would potentially indicate they were on Base for 30.

The wind was dead and showers recorded within the previous window was indicative of clouds. However, IMC seems to be a given going off that forecast.

Look, I’m not claiming it’s IMC, the forecast essentially gives us that data, I’m not claiming it engineering. It could be anything. But, if it’s IMC, we have an issue here, a growing problem trending in the wrong direction.

Last edited by PoppaJo; 11th Mar 2020 at 21:32.