PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Subsegmental PE
Thread: Subsegmental PE
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 20:26
Paul Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subsegmental PE

I am seeking advice. I had a subsegmental PE in January 2016 and remain on DOAC anti coagulation since then resulting in the imposition of a permanent OML limitation on my Class One medical certificate.

Am a right in thinking that a subsegmental PE may in reality be nothing other than a curiosity with no real medical significance or risk whatsoever. Reading Dr Google articles it seems that advances in imaging is picking up more and more perfectly harmless PE s at the subsegmental level and that these very tiny clots are a natural physiological function of the filtration function of the lungs and nothing whatsoever to do with larger life threatening PE s. A filter doing its job as opposed to a blocked filter.

Would I be right in suspecting that calling a subsegmental PE a PE is a bit of an over diagnosis, being on permanent anti-coagulation for a subsegmental PE is a bit of over medication and being having an permanent OML imposed is a bit of severe over regulation. The OML is severly limiting my career and I desperately want shot of it.