PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 18:37
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by bobward
lMatt etc
I joined the ATC as a cadet in 1965. I left in 2018, after having 'done' 40+ years as an instructor, including 25 in uniform.
It was he best thing I ever did (apart from marrying Mrs W of course). I learned a lot, and used it when I started work.
Because the Corps is open to anyone, the mix of character types is huge: cadets have to earn to get on with each other,
and how to take, and eventually give, orders.

I'm sure I would have been hard pressed to have had the modest success I had in the day job without all the stuff I learned in the ACO.
There will be a certain amount of BS and waffle in your son's early days as a cadet. Stick with it as it will get better and then see how far you can go.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Joined in '62 and was refused a continuance of service in '98 after 36 years service (commisioned in '79) at the age of 51 as I was spending too much time at the VGS and not enough at the squadron because the Sqdn Cdr who took the squadron over from me never gave me anything to do; well I was supposed to be WGLO after all! It wasn't until later that year I learned that WGLO had become an established Wing Staff post and not just 'co-opted' as I had been, a fact my Wg Cdr must have known when he 'sacked' me.
Maybe my getting invited to a Royal Garden Party at 'the Palace' and my Wg Cdr NOT beng invited had something to do with it!
Otherwise I echo bobwards statement.

Last edited by chevvron; 13th Mar 2020 at 09:59.