PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 15:37
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluSdUp
" All recruiters know each other!" NO!
" He might need a reference,," For what , he just started in BA, Only leaving for the Oldfolks Home!
A company I know of does not even give reference!! So arrange with a " friendly" Cpt or Trainer to give You a letter!
" You will get sued " NO! FOR WHAT! Two of my friends left with no notice , never heard a thing!
" Aviation has big ears" NO! It used to , when it was the CP or Head of Training doing the culling of CVs on his table. HR is a different beast.

I am afraid we have quite a few pilots presently working the last days of notice. To be available for a course that might not start until next February.
This is the context I issue this advice to be considered for anyone in similar position in these uncertain times.
I would not advice this for normal procedure, not even Non Normal , we are talking Recall Item Emergency here!

I have been way to many places in my 32 years in Aviation and this crisis has the potential to unhinge the market for us pilots like nothing I have ever seen.
But by all means question my integrity for coming with tough advice.
I am not going anywhere.
For now!
Good Luck to All
Cpt B
Great post

Key takeaway here is the HR point. References really don’t exist anymore. All you will EVER get is a ‘confirmation of employment dates’ or something similarly titled. Reason is no one wants to be sued for giving a bad reference so are scared of them, quite reasonably. And absolutely right about the chief pilot point, modern airlines are not old boys clubs where if daddy wore the right squadron tie you got in, everyone is equal and you’re based purely on the application, nothing else.