PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2020, 07:48
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current situation is unlike any before. This is expected to be a very significant but relatively short time frame event. What does the company do? In this situation it needs to minimise losses in the short term without affecting the medium term plans. If there were to be a panicked mass redundancy of hundreds of pilots, it would then prove very difficult to get them all back into work quickly enough when we see recovery.

We see offers for unpaid leave (up to one month), part time options and recruitment freezes (although did we not only two days ago recruit a load of new managers?). What’s the next step? Voluntary retirement package? Part time working across all pilots? As a group what we need to do is all take some of the pain and not see our more junior colleagues out of work. We all complain about workload, lack of time off and tax, this maybe a opportunity to address those issues and save jobs.

Yes I am full time, yes I would go 75% for a fixed period and no I am probably senior enough to not have to do that. I have been at risk a number of times and I was saved by the good will of more senior pilots and I am prepared to do the same for my colleagues.

All speculation of course, hopefully we don’t get to that point.