PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Islands
Thread: Blue Islands
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2020, 11:26
Gurnard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcockayne
Well, this is a lesson to me in how someone can find offence in something that was meant without any intention of causing offence. All that I was trying to say was that I was expecting BEE to find the competition from EZY on the Manchester route to be too strong to withstand. The other comment about BEE pulling off the route was meant to acknowledge the irony that they had now done this- but involuntarily. There was never any intention to appear to be gloating over what has happened, or of wanting it to happen. The whole commentary was meant to convey to garstag that there was little prospect of BCI operating the same route in competition with an airline of EZY’s strength. And that alone. If I have caused offence, I apologize for having posted something that could be taken that way. I repeat, that was never the intention. However, this episode has illustrated to me that one’s best intentions can be misconstrued quite easily, perhaps the more so if someone is of a mindset to identify another person’s comments as worthy of an interpretation that was never intended ; or even thought of as likely to be understood in that manner.
The problem we all face is that typed comments are simply read by others rather than heard in a particular tone of voice. The same comment heard vocally would indicate the inner feelings of the person who had made it. When I read the comment some have taken exception to, I did not detect any gloating over the demise of Flybe but rather irony. The comment had nothing to do with Flybe employees who had been made redundant overnight.
Regular readers of this forum soon form an idea of the posters and can detect trolls and those out to gloat. The comments of kcockayne fall into neither of these categories. While care is needed in posting comments, it is impossible in debates of this kind to completely avoid being misunderstood. Our interpretations can be very subjective. The fact that an apology was quickly offered proves the genuineness of the poster. (Trolls never apologize.) Surely most of us are genuinely sorry for those working at the coal-face who have been badly let down by their employers. We wish Blue Islands and other carriers every success and hope those out of work through the Flybe calamity will soon fare rather better.