PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coved-19 and Recirculation Fans
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2020, 08:47
threep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I applaud the steps taken by airlines and manufacturers to reduce the risks of Covid-19 transmission, they only have partial control of this.

In the link below a couple who became infected sat 2 rows behind a person who was suffering from Covid-19 (though apparently was presenting no symptoms at the time of the flight). The flight was Vietnamese Airlines VN54, which is serviced by a B787, i.e. its a modern aircraft with presumably the best filtration systems. Vietnam did very well at containing the initial Covid-19 outbreak, so my assumption is that VA would also have been very switched to the steps needed to clean/disinfect aircraft between flights. Yet they still got infected. What was the mechanism for transmission? We don't know and probably never will, but it is how we as individuals behave which will determine the extent to which Covid-19 infects and kills people.

US researchers suggest people only start to show symptoms on day 5 after infection. As this thing spreads, it will become increasingly likely that we will share cabins with infected, but symptom-less people. We need to adopt the right behaviours. That means catch-kill-bin, self isolating if there any any signs of infection, social distancing and regular, thorough washing of hands with soap to an almost fanatical extent. We all have responsibility to our fellow citizens.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...row-to-vietnam