PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shock horror - the boss is taking a pay freeze
Old 10th Mar 2020, 00:57
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
The QANTAS shareholders responsibility

Having absolutely no idea about the sharemarket or how it operates, this may simply be me,showing my naivety.

Dont shareholders have an ethical responsibility in all this. As their returns depend very much on the peaks and troughs of the Companies performance, don't they have an opportunity to step up and display good intention and ethics, and stand behind the staff that play in an integral role in the Company performance. Surely a case could be put to them by Mr Joyce and the PM encouraging them to stand behind this Company.

By standing behind the staff and protecting the employment of fulltime, part time and casual staff, but perhaps accepting a significantly reduced dividend for the short term it would be a noble gesture. A great opportunity for shareholders to make a bold statement and take some commercial pressure of the decision making process. Send a clear message that the shareholders are fully supportive of the Company and staff.

Once its all over, as it will be, it would be a great way to move forward collaboratively.

Ive had an opportunity to fly QANTAS fairly regularly until recent times, and there is no doubt its an exceptional team portraying an admirable corporate image. Every time i flew with them i was impressed on every occasion about how much they share the Companies vision. I know that the salries have been somewhat of a controversial issue but as a customer, i never sensed any disenchantment among the staff.