PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading memory when only two slots
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2020, 03:18
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Gosh. One is enlightened . . . somewhat.

Some time ago I dashed off and got a Lenovo, unused in the box. It had W8 IIRC which upgraded seamlessly to W10. I then thought I'd fit an SSD. No way, no how could I get the BIOS to, well, do anything. A call to Lenovo told me my machine was too old for them to discuss. Pity, it was fast, with 8gigs, but had to go. So, back to the machine that contained the motherboard I'd bought back from Texas. It lasted a year before rebooting in an uncomfortably familiar way. I'd spent hours in the past replacing the capacitors around a CPU, and did not want to try it again. Since security had Xray'd the life out of my hard drive I now had about three components of the original Texas PC. Value, 90p. The i5 MB came off the bay and was as described, given no mention was made of the memory.

It's funny I should be working my way backwards with computers. At this rate I'm destined to end up with an Acorn. I started with a roomful of NOS IBM's when XT's were £3k each. That took a lot of guts, but a call to the local CID told me that there was one computer reported stolen in the whole of the UK. The second batch even had some AT's. When IBM came up with that monstrosity XTA? with patch wires running half way across the board, I decided I could do better. Exciting times, until customers said not to bother with this and that, as their kids would fix it when they got home from school. Nice while it lasted.