PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787s departing localizer into HKG - below minimum safe alt
Old 7th Mar 2020, 21:49
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wondering
The mini map below the PFD. Suffice to say Collins ProLine4 and ProLine21 change the indication on the mini map from a pure nav display to an ILS display by using blue needles and changing the sensitivity accordingly. From what heard the Embraer 190 is the same (?) I had a discussion with a former Embraer cpt who wasn´t too impressed by the lack of it on the 787. Imho, it´s easier to spot a deviating needle on the mini map than a 'bug' on the PFD.

Anyhow, back to topic. The attitude stabilizing mode seems to have been a contributing factor. Case of false sense of security?
Originally Posted by wondering View Post
One wonders why the 787 doesn´t have a localizer needle on the PFD like every other aircraft. Only this little bug below the Rad Alt. It´s so easy to miss in a high work load environment.

The AvHerald says the weather was pretty good, so my question is, with 2 x PFD’S, a Standby, 2x Nav displays, PLUS 2x HUD’s showing all the information you could possibly need, was anyone monitoring the flightpath VISUALLY?

The Boeing instructors hammered C H I P s into us.

Cleared for approach

HDG within 40°

ILS tuned

Pointers in correct sense

I know, in IMC you couldn’t look out the window and monitor the path visually, but the 787 has so much information available to the “head up pilot “(PF) to help maintain the correct flightpath in this situation without having to go “head down”.