PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading memory when only two slots
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2020, 17:55
Mr Optimistic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose rivets
I used to assume both strips must be same where possible. Both same value. But I'm stuck with 4 gigs in two slots. It's an i5 MB that I bought some years ago. I'm beginning to feel the pinch at 4 gigs.

Can I use a 4 and 2 and put up with 6? I assume not. so will have to scrap 2X2 or relegate it to the spares box.

I'm not sure what I can use to get 8 gigs in two slots, inasmuch as there are 8 gig strips that imply they'll be okay but not sure. Is it better to have 2 X 4gigs to get 8?

I've looked on the bay and up the river but too much stuff rather than none. I used to know all this stuff. Now I have to think to get the case open. Still, the new WD Black is all updated and sits well with the SSD front end.

NB I bought the MB off the bay with the processor etc., used. Never dawned on me that it would only have 4 gigs. Or that 4 gigs would be limiting for the work I do.
​​​​​​4+2, don't see why not, used to be able to. Don't know about timings and optimisation but I'm pretty sure I've done similar.