PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2020, 17:44
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
We are back to a similiar situation as the early days of the credit crunch in summer 2007

Northern Rock was running low on cash, news organisations like the BBC became aware and business journalists started appearing on our TV every day. The masses panicked about their savings - huge queues of people at each branch wanting to take out their money which caused a run on the bank and eventual nationalisation. If the BBC didn't report it, other news organisations, including those outside the UK, would have still run the story.

There is a shortage of paracetamol, but was it a good idea for the UK to allow itself to become so dependent on just 2 countries for a critical drug ? Probably not...

With the Internet, it's impossible in a free democracy to prevent information being accessed by the masses

PS - I know I've simplified about the credit crunch but please don't give me a lecture on the details of this - I probably know far more about this than many. The point of this post is that in a free democracy, we end up with a relatively free media who we expect to tell us what is happening in the world - sometimes this will cause panics but a shortage of toilet roll is a lesser evil than having a dictatorship

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 7th Mar 2020 at 17:59.