PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 7th Mar 2020, 04:16
Hoosten

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts
It seems odd that if ATS had accurate information about both aircraft, ATS would not have known about the risk of collision between them. Why do I occasionally hear Centre issue a ‘safety alert’ to aircraft in G, on the basis that the aircraft appear to Centre to be in close proximity?
ATC are obliged to transmit traffic or safety alerts if they see ANYTHING on their surveillance equipment that indicates a collision could occur, whether it's IFR or VFR. If they see 2 VFR aircraft on their scope in the middle of no-where on a possible collision course they will broadcast on the area frequency. ADSB out from VFR ADSB equipped aircraft will even give the callsign to the ATC (in ADSB coverage).

Because 2 IFR aircraft have been given mutual traffic in Class G aircraft, doesn't absolve the ATC from providing traffic or safety alerts if it's warranted.
NOTE: I am NOT saying this may have occurred at YMNG. It is NOT an accusation and it is not an ATC bash. Surveillance in that neck of the woods is known to be patchy.

My beef is purely with the class of airspace in this area. Australian pilots seem to labour under a few mis-conceptions:
- That if you are IFR OCTA you are separated or protected somewhat by a traffic statement.
- That any upgrade to a higher class of airspace will cost an exorbitant amount of money.
- That the existing way of doing things is the best money can buy.

Refusal to look at possible solutions and different airspace models, particularly as the traffic numbers increase in certain areas is just plain stupidity.