PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA pilots worried about employment 2021
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2020, 19:25
virginexcess

Received 22 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by non_state_actor
Except that it can never be reciprocated as there just aren't enough WB pilots to subsidise the 737s if the situation was reversed and the 737 was in trouble.
Those who went onto the widebody went in with the full knowledge that it may not work. Some people didn't take it because they didn't want to take the risk. You can't take the risk then expect a bailout because the cards haven't fallen your way.

Nothing against the sentiment except that it just doesn't work in reality and the pay differential between the two is significant.
And therein lies the problem. Your classic australian pilot "what's in it for me" attitude. Or more likely, "if those blokes lose their jobs, then that makes it more likely I'll be able to take their seat in the future".
What ever happened to looking after your colleagues or friends or community. We've turned in to such a dog eat dog society in general, and pilots represent the worst of it.
The proper thing to do is for all Virgin group pilots to take a pay cut to preserve the organisation. NB pilots can bang on all they want about WB being this and that and WB pilots knew the risk blah blah blah. But wait and see what happens to NB if the WB operations fold. A great deal of the domestic operation is supported by the on carriage of international passengers. We are seeing the effects of that now with drop in numbers from the virus. Then the NB fleet will face redundancies. Some of the attitudes here reflect a totally misplaced sense of invulnerability by NB pilots at Virgin. Sure the 330 is a massive problem and needs to be fixed. But international is a necessity and needs to survive. If it falls, it will be a portent of things to come. It is much easier to keep the current operation going than to cut back to the bone and then have to rebuild in the future. In fact I would say that if the WB were to go, then it would probably never return and Virgin would be relegated to a second level airline.

I realise i live in another world to most pilots, but building solidarity is the best way to deal with this crap. Two months ago, it was just 330 pilots, now it's Tiger 320 pilots and VAI 737 pilots. Make no mistake, VAA 737 pilots will be next. Rather than say "**** you, I'm all right jack" why not band together and protect everyone's jobs by taking across the group pay cuts or pay freezes. By the way, I'm pretty senior in the mix of things and I'm not concerned about redundancy. What I am concerned about is the future of the company. I'm also a great supporter of unions, but at the moment, the unions position (which is member driven) is just placing greater financial strain on the business. There will be no satisfaction for anyone to have preserved straight line seniority only to have the company fold in 18months. Whereas across the board pay cuts can do both. Preserve seniority, plus make a meaningful contribution toward keeping the company afloat. Straight line seniority preserves jobs only for those that benefit, while imposing massive training costs onto the business as seats are backfilled.