PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Out of Ideas
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2020, 16:34
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the USAF needs a pilot officer program. Recruit 18 year olds out of high school. (I believe the Israelis start flight school at 18.) You can have a year of higher level math and science training, 40 hours of flight school, etc. over a 12-month period. Successful candidates go to flight school as Pilot Officers and get commissioned upon graduation/wings. Then, after several years of flying they can be offered a chance to complete a degree. Without a degree they are not desirable for the airlines. Generally only about half a degree is required for a commission.

The Navy Reserve does a very good job of integrating Reservists into active duty squadrons - so I've been told, no first-hand knowledge. The USAF's reserve component flies almost all the tanker missions. Perhaps a longer reserve commitment would keep people around. They can fly a few days a month. The Air National Guard once had an advertisement with the claim they flew 40% as much as the USAF at 10% of the cost. That's only because the AF provides the schools, the airplanes, and the broader infrastructure, but there's merit.

I disagree with the "up or out" policy we have w/in DoD. Some Army Captains are great company commanders, but no cut out to be the Ops Officer for a battalion. Let someone do a career as a captain. Change the retirement system. Sometimes you need crazy ideas if you want radical changes.