PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 5th Mar 2020, 22:55
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
What is the incidence of mid-air collisions in the USA per 100,000 or per Million GA hours? Very small I suggest. I am guessing that we have double the rate of the USA.

What level of IFR surveillance would Mangalore have if it was in the USA? In terms of traffic and proximity to capital cities, I am (again) guessing it would have Class E down to a lower level such as 1200' AGL.

Half an hour of looking at the various US airspace maps available on SkyVector is very instructive. I especially like to look at the airspace around San Francisco (world #22) which supports the equivalent of a SYD, a MEL, a MEB, 2 Bankstowns and a Willytown within a 30nm radius.
Within a 120 nm radius there are literally dozens of aerodromes, many uncontrolled, with Class E down to 1200' above the surface.
Given the elimination of many ground-based navaids across Australia and the concentration of IFR Training flights around the remaining network as a result, CASA as the "Safety" authority needs to take action to ensure adequate levels of infrastructure are built to suit the technology mix and traffic levels of the 21st Century.

Last edited by Horatio Leafblower; 6th Mar 2020 at 00:02.