PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC - Mum bit Swiss pilot in cockpit in 'self-defence'
Old 5th Mar 2020, 16:06
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From an update of the BBC article linked above:

Mitaire was given a four-month sentence suspended for one year after being convicted of assault by beating.

Ms Roberts, of Elswick Street, Imperial Wharf, south-west London, was asked to leave the courtroom when she made a disturbance, shouting: "Adolf Hitler is ruling England! Mussolini is ruling England!"

'You escalated matters'

Judge Wright said: "You behaved in a way that was completely unacceptable and caused significant injury and the whole thing was caused, in effect, because you could not take your buggy on to the plane with you.

"When you were asked to leave the plane, instead of being sensible and saying 'I will make my complaint at a later stage', you escalated matters."

The court heard that the assault caused the following flight to be cancelled.

Judge Wright said: "A significant number of people were inconvenienced and you caused distress to the staff who had to deal with the incident on the day in question."

In a statement, senior crown prosecutor Arlene De Silva described the assault as a "shocking attack on a pilot" and an "unprovoked onslaught" in a "confined space".

Mitaire was also ordered to comply with a tagged curfew at her home address between 19:00 and 07:00 GMT for six months.

She was further ordered to pay £1,500 court costs, a £115 surcharge and £1,000 compensation to Capt Keel - a total of £2,615 - immediately, or serve three months in prison.
Originally Posted by PiggyBack
My prediction is that they will receive suspended sentences because they are women. The effect on children will be mentioned, it will be said that this is an isolated incident and in sentencing the judge will say they are very lucky to avoid jail. The reality is that it is quite hard for a woman to be jailed for violent assault unless she cause very serious injury and sometimes even then.
You called that one right.