PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 5th Mar 2020, 04:10
AlphaVictorFoxtrot

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by triadic
For a start, the last time I looked, the operation in a CTAF was NOT covered in any of the associated exams for any class of licence.
My thoughts exactly (and, similarly to the rest of your post). This is why I think, if properly implemented the AFIZ/MBZ/MF zones could be an improvement. Beyond the airspace improvements, they should also contain prescriptive mandatory calls, so at least you could normalize most of the radio chatter. Whereas with the Class G CTAFs you'll never get away from gibberish calls simply due to the fact that it's uncontrolled. Sure, you might get your local field to agree on a standard set of calls, but anything mandated beyond that would probably be seen as overreach by a fair number of people, especially if it's in the regulation, or the AIP or VFRG.

Originally Posted by LeanOfPeak
I think I need to rethink how I’d approach these hypothetical situations and will discuss this with my instructor next time I have a lesson.
What separation would the good folks here use in that situation? Vertical seems problematic - even 1,000ft below cloud may not give enough time to see the descending aircraft (who would be unlikely to see me). Lateral separation is better but harder to mentally visualize, describe accurately and agree on the radio confidently. Staying on the ground whenever someone is inbound IMC may cause long delays if busy but a safe option.
Depends if you're the departing or inbound aircraft. From my experience, the best thing of the departing aircraft to do is to ask the inbound on location, intention, and altitude before launching (in case you missed it when they broadcast). If, due to terrain/MSA/LSALT limitations you can't launch until they're safely behind you (assuming they're doing an approach on the same runway you're departing from). you can either wait or ask them to not descend below an altitude that would let you launch with at least 1000' separation. For the most part (in my experience), IFR pilots don't mind staying higher for a bit if they're not even on approach yet. But, be ready if they say no!

As Hoosten mentioned, VFR just under cloud is problematic for a multitude of reasons (here's an example of a flight that hit some of the holes in the cheese). In fact, it's simpler if you don't think of the altitude as VFR or IMC. If you're flying IFR, fly to whatever IFR level is appropriate given the terrain and traffic. (Last thing you want is to bumble around low level VFR trying to figure out where IFR traffic is, only for it to pop out of cloud in front of you.)

If the weather is marginal, and you don't have full situational awareness to launch IFR, don't launch until you're ready.