PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2020, 13:12
BA318

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fletch
As much as I think that connectivity is (very) important to the regions, I can't see how state intervention is appropriate in this instance. Going forward the business will have to resize and focus- so it's not going to be offering what it is today. Should routes operating in to and out of LHR & LCY be subsidised where there is competition? Those must be some of the most profitable routes. Services deemed "essential" may well be served more efficiently using different operators, so why should Flybe get the subsidy?
Connect Airways dabble with Flybe was just an easy opportunity for some rich men and woman to become even richer. The shareholders in Connect Airways Limited seemed to have loaned money to the company (with interest), while covering themselves with charges over the Assets.
And my guess would be that Stobart Air will be unaffected by any demise of Flybe as was previously suggested, in a similar way that Condor still operates.
On the first point, I absolutely agree. If the routes are to be subsidised then it should be a fair tender - allow Loganair and others to bid aswell. No way should Flybe just get a bung to operate their current routes.

On the second, Willie Walsh said that Aer Lingus made sure the Stobart Air side of the deal had adequate ring fencing so that should anything happen Aer Lingus Regional could keep flying.