PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pan Pan Pan Netjets Interview In 3 Days.
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2003, 21:07
M.85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear JAMMERS,

I see and respect your point of view.
However not to sound against all ROYAL WAY to become a pilot(ie ENAC school,Integrated,armay),I must tell you that some pilots are eager to work and are willing to make sacrifices in life.
My experience has a freight pilot for a small company didnt only include the flying part.
I have fueled,loaded and yes cleaned the A/Cs!before my flight(metros and 1900s) and sometimes helping the Mechanics to do some of their jobs which one wouldnt need a Mech degree to do(vacuming,painting props,flight test after an engine replacement...)
I have been flying and living in places like FARGO(North Dakota),Sioux Falls(SD),LAke Charles louisina where temp in one could get as low as -40C and in other +40 with lots of MOSTIQUOS...
Been cold out of sioux falls when i could barely drive to the airport due to high winds and blowing snow,having to wait in A/C more than an hour because ups wanted me there,after havimg driven the fuel truck(mech werent there at 3 am..)and fueled the plane myself..and given 5 min to T/O by the airport manager before they had to close the airport..flew with snowboard gloves as my fingers were sticking to the thrust lever!
on the hot side,Wichita had its load of daily thunderstorms,hail,freezing rain...
Oh yes sometimes i wished to be back in europe and not having to fly in such conditions but you earn your way and chance to stay as an expat.
How many times i had to fly with bad engines,overweight,overtime..had to use owner signature..
But yes sometimes i had to say no..because i couldnt if a problem ie engine failure i wouldnt be able to land due to fogged up state and around states...landed in undefinite ceilings,1800rvr..and no autopilot.
The Radar wa a plus but when the company tells you they fixed it for you and in flight when it gets darker you turn it on and **** nothing...you get pissed off and get help from the controllers the best you can..
Yes life wasnt always pink either when i slept in evrynight in an fbo lounge in a sleeping bag to be woken up with a ****ty wx..
I dont regret i have done it because i proved that i could do it and gave the company which allowed me to move up in my career what they expected from me.

And nothing compares to a flight with beautiful weather on a sat morning going back home for the week end..thats if theydont call you when u land to take ac back to base for inspection..

And this without a f/o to help as it was single pilot.Oh yes i brought friends along for an extra pair of eyes in low viz and someone to talk to...

So you see,cleaning an ac is not big deal and serving coffee either..

Safe flying,

M.85