PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 11:21
OCTA Aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosten

Yers, indeed.

I don't think you'll have the staff, mainly because of the enormous sectors you run. I mean, 30 miles north of Melbourne to 30 south of Sydney. Ridiculous.

ASA, CASA, ATSB need to spend a bit of time on a work study in the States. Not the usual stooges, line controllers.

If it involves reorganising the sectorisation then that actually is a pretty substantial amount of work. As you can probably imagine, an ATC really knows their airspace quite intimately. To give you an idea of the amount of training involved to get a controller rated on a sector consider it roughly equivalent to a type rating. We get to know a handful of sectors very well. Once again not impossible, but if that could happen with any less than 1 year lead in I would be quite surprised. And I’m not sure ASA has the training capacity for that. They would need to call in help.

As for the final bit, we’ll those who can make the change in the organisations won’t, those who would at least be open minded to a change aren’t in a position to make the change. Everything moves at a glacially slow pace inside all three of those organisations. And as much as I would love a paid trip to America it would be wasted because even if I fully agreed with the changes I couldn’t do anything about it.