PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Opinion (from a student)
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2003, 19:28
Flying Spice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Your Opinion (from a student)

Hi

Just wanted to get your professional opinion on something..

Yesterday I had a circuits lesson (first time landing on a grass runway, which was short and had a huge undulation in the middle).. I normally fly a much longer concrete runway.

My first circuit went well until the landing. I set up the base turn well but came in too fast.. (80 knots).. The speed didn't decay before I hit this ridge and the front wheel bounced on the ridge and jarred the aircraft back into the air, the nose then came down and the aircraft did this a further 3 times. It didn't feel that safe, and I (having 13 hours) wasn't sure what to do. In my mind I was thinking that perhaps we should have gone around??? (havent done these yet). Instead the plane kept bumping until it finally stopped and we taxied off the runway to check it out... Lucking everything was ok but I am not sure how the FI (not my usual one or usual school) should have handled it. I am not sure after the 3rd bounce whether there was enough runway left to go around.. but after the first one there might have been.

What is your opinion on this??

thanks

Flying Spice