PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Live Long and Prosper - and the Death of the Fighter
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 17:14
SOX80

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Being a pilot maybe I am biased but I am always suspicious when somebody says the days of the manned fighter are over, or driverless cars will be taking over, or my house is going to be completely networked and do everything for me. Technology is one of our strengths in the west but at the same time is our biggest weakness, if we rely on it completely we will be pretty screwed when it is denied to us (as it will be because any enemy worth their salt will know what our critical nodes are). How well will F35 work when ALIS is denied? I am sure automation, AI etc. will play a huge part in our future both military and civilian but it is worth considering why we like it; it makes our life easier and is good for business (isn't it Mr Musk) but it is not always the best solution, indeed some think we may have reached peak technology. I think there will always be a requirement for a squaddie with a bayonet or a fighter with a pilot in capable of operating outside the network when the crap really hits the fan.

Anyway, we cant even provide hot water in the mess at the moment so providing secure networked pilotless air systems may be a way off.