PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fukushima Prefecture AW139 crash land, no immediatefatalities
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 13:21
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Ah, EOLs.....Some years ago, in my QHI'ing days, I was programmed to fly a revision sortie with a student I'd not flown with before, just before his final handling test (and his award of RAF flying badge / "wings"). His training record had temporarily gone missing (!) so I spoke to his usual instructor who told me that he was very steady and competent but had occasionally had a bit of a "brain fart"......

He flew the full FHT profile as briefed to a very nice standard, low level nav to a confined area, circuits, quickstops, spot turns, sloping ground, emergency drills, etc - the lot. The final part of such a sortie was always an EOL, to a full touchdown. I briefed him to carry out a variable flare profile to the grass at Ternhill. He flew a mainly textbook EOL, i.e. "Flare, Check, Level" were all perfectly done. Unfortunately, when it got to the final "cushion" using collective, he inexplicably and rapidly applied full aft cyclic but didn't raise the collective at all! I took control very promptly and managed to gain a little altitude to clear the tail, whilst levelling again and then cushioned on with what little collective was left - it was a firm touchdown, but in the correct attitude. I shut down the rotors and went back to see if there was any damage (TBH I didn't think there would be any) because the Gazelle had been known to crease its tailboom after a very heavy landing. It was fine but looking further back I saw that the "frangible" tail fairing was a bit the worse for wear. I knew I couldn't have done that so I walked back up the field about 75 metres to see slight witness marks in the grass showing that it had just kissed the ground in a "three point" landing with the rear of the skids. Doh!

We did fly the aircraft home, after the engineers had come out fitted a new "frange" but obviously it was my fault.
The student passed his FHT (not with me) and later did very well - he went on to become the squadron commander of that same training outfit.