PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure after V1
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2003, 18:18
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zerouali- I suspect you might!

I agree with Tinstaafl generally.

There is nothing, however, in any Ops Manual to say you may not operate in a manner outside SOPs. They might not cover the situation, or the captain may decide that they are not appropriate in the situation at that moment.

Put simply, the captain always may exercise his discretion and operate any way he likes. He would, however, need a very good reason, and be prepared to defend his decision later - be it on the carpet in the CP's office, hat on and with no tea or biccies, or in a court or coroner's inquest.

The incident @ STN with the HS 748 was one such situation. The skipper knew his aircraft, which (like almost all 748's) was a tired, knackered old thing which was unlikely to be able to stagger round a single-engine circuit. He also realised very rapidly that he did not have a simple engine fire - he had a catastrophic failure threatening the whole airframe.

He broke SOPs and saved the lives of all on board.

PS - Towers - as far as I remember, he didn't actually stop on the runway. He re-landed, which took it beyond the runway but still within the airfield perimeter, which collapsed the nosegear.