PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR in ‘useful type’
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2020, 20:45
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't dispute your comments, Centaurus - I am a former military QFI - so am well versed in what is taught to the trainees in that system...

However, as with everything in life - it's a trade-off. The military has (virtually) unlimited resources to spend on training a pilot before they go out to "work" whereas the young CPL hopeful does not - so they have a different set of challenges and considerations to balance.

Further, the military trainee is expected to be able to go straight to their Squadron after training and operate - so all their skills need to be taught during the initial training phases in the "school house". Civvie pilots have the potential benefit of developing their skill sets in stages, gaining a new skill following a consolidation period of refining the "old" one... However, the risk you raise is real - however if taught properly, by an experienced Instructor with good time in the real industry, the young trainee will be aware of and alert to that problem - and hopefully able to avoid or cope with it.

The 10 hr requirement for dual IF for the CPL should not be a worthless exercise - at the very least with that IF time the pilot should be able to keep the aircraft upright, turn it around, climb or other basic manoeuvre and manage turbulence to some extent to break visual and head towards a known navaid / location in clear air / low ground - ie conduct what I teach to be an "inadvertent IMC" drill / procedure. Are you saying this is not taught in flying schools these days? I damn well hope so...