PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2020, 23:19
WB627

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Kenley
History will show that in fact the best machine for the ATC requirement was indeed the MK 3, and that record stands any scrutiny. The problem was 'dragging' the organisation into a more modern era whilst keeping it simple.
Although I was in the CCF at school, I did not go into the forces, so I have always been just a civvy and this is not a forum I post on lightly.

I have followed this thread since it started, as I feel, having soled at Kenley in 1974 on a Mk 3, I have some skin in this fight and feel desperately sorry for what has become of the ACO. My Dad was a staff pilot, a founder member, on 1 AEF from Biggin Hill in 1958, to Manston in 1982, having joined the RAF and trained a pilot in 1941. I worked the flight line at Manston as a supernumerary staff cadet as often as I could whilst I was in the CCF, so cadet flying is in the blood, so to speak.

My eldest son now 35, was in our local ATC and the deterioration in cadet flying since he was in it, is quite depressing.

Throughout my career (in construction) I had a mantra, KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. It worked. Rocket science not required. We had a Slingsby Grasshopper at school, one or two steps down from the Mk 3, but I learnt a lot from flying that. So I wonder if a new build Mk 3 is the way to go. It ticked all the boxes then, there are some still flying and I canot imagine they would not tick all the boxes now. It was simple uncomplicated, easy to maintain and easy to fly.

The only problem as I see it, would be the MOD procurement process, which no doubt would turn it into a multi £billion project for someone like BAE, which would never get off the ground.