PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2020, 16:39
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Kenley and 615 staying put

Originally Posted by chevvron
Hope they didn't spend too much on the new HQ; some beancounter at MOD might see the cost and say 'why are we spending money on an airfield with no powered flying; close it'.(Thinks: Wonder what's happened to the HQ they built at Abingdon for 612 GS?)
Anyway that's what happened to Bovingdon according to what I heard; 617 GS had just become established as 'sole user' having 'lost' their original home at Hendon; the 4 hangars were re-furbished and then they closed it because some beancounter noticed the cost of the 'new' hangars.
Still I can't complain; I got my Air Cadet Soaring Certificate/BGA 'C' Certificate at Bovingdon whilst operating a 613 GS detachment from Halton before 617 moved in.
Kenley
AH Chev Kenley has a not very secret weapon up its sleeve. It is not an MOD asset but merely a 'peppercorn' leased field which has no commercial value. If gliding stops the field reverts back to being a common 'end of'. Manston and West Malling were lost because they had substantial development value when the RAF operations stopped, (and Bovingdon became a prison). Kenley was ideal for the fretwork fighters but deemed too small for Vig operations. The Viking has coped ok but higher performance machines would not be ideal. History will show that in fact the best machine for the ATC requirement was indeed the MK 3, and that record stands any scrutiny. The problem was 'dragging' the organisation into a more modern era whilst keeping it simple. The Viking has done well despite the efforts of those up top, and indeed could provide excellent service for years to come. The next generation kit will be interesting as in theory the clubs also need a glass trainer that is affordable.