PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA changes colour vision policy
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2020, 09:21
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by vee1-rotate
The part that has always concerned me, as a CVD pilot, is what is the likelihood of CASA backflipping on their change after a few years? After countless CVD pilots have been given the green light (pardon the pun) to do their training and invest enormous amounts of money, just to be have CASA reverse their decision for some ridiculous reason and severely limit the licences and ratings that can be obtained. I know it's silly to live in a state of constant fear but if it wasn't such a huge financial and personal investment to get to a well paying flying job, it wouldn't be such a concern.
Unfortunately, your concern is well-founded vee1-rotate.

Fortunately, the probabilities of a return to the dark ages are reducing.

At this link is an analysis by the CVDPA of some material about CVD that shows how intellectually dishonest and inappropriate the zealots can be: http://www.cvdpa.com/images/news/upl...PMO_Review.pdf One could be forgiven for thinking that the material was created by an adolescent as a sick joke.

Unfortunately, the material was not created by an adolescent as a sick joke. It was instead created by someone who, along with his like-minded colleagues, were put into positions of power in bureacracies and then proceeded to wreak havoc (as VH-MLE among others have observed).
Fortunately, the NZ CAA finally realised what was going on and took action to deal with it. Australia's CASA has been shamed and embarrassed into pretending that it coincidentally came to the same view as that of the NZ CAA.

We - all of us, but pilots with CVD in particlar - must remain ever-vigilant for these kinds of zealots. Make no mistake: The zealots will be remaining ever-vigilent for tragedies that can be spun into: "We told you these CVD pilots would cause a disaster."

I'm confident that the NZ CAA is now much less likely to return to the dark ages. FWIW: I think you should at least rely on the NZ CAA to stick with the evidence-based approach.