PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA crew test positive for alcohol (Sentences)
Old 17th Nov 2003, 15:34
Kurtz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr REALPOLITIK

Not trying to be contentious, or goody-two shoes here, just sticking with facts.
I know in the morning if I have had a drink or two the night before, even a couple of glasses of wine. I KNOW there is a difference in my reaction and thinking time, because I can feel - albeit only very slightly - the difference.
I also know this does not apply to everyone. It wasn't always so, in fact I can remember mess dinners and aviating the next morning in probably highly dubious states - but that was then, and this is now.
The world has changed in the perception of drink driving. Once it was a 'there but for the grace of God etc etc....' but now it is rightly considered a fairly serious anti-social potentially lethal offence. Same therefore with hauling pax around in a like condition. By all means object to Euro law, or British law and campaign to have it changed - but in the meantime be aware of it.

However, the thing that cracks me up the most, being (regrettably I admit) part of BA, is the total apparent lack of CDF.
There have now been almost numerous examples of the Company's attitude to reporting for duty with traces of alcohol present in one's system. It's the dole queue, with the knowledge there will need to be a bloody big pilot shortage before any employer offers one a job again.

This happens regularly. By all means use your CC to try and negotiate a change in the rules - but try and be realistic about your chances, imagine the headlines. "BA relaxes drinking rules for pilots!!!! The world's most drunken airline" - I don't think so!

So, to conclude:
1. You know the rules.
2. Breaking them (or even taking a chance) is taking a huge huge risk with your career.

I just cannot understand why anyone would want to take that risk, regardless of the efficiency of their metabolism and/or flying skills. I suppose one should remember that pilots are just another population grouping, and therefore, just like any other group will have broadly the same percentage of alcoholics and people with substance dependency problems.

[Quick edit - already been asked what CDF stands for......'Common Dog F#ck' otherwise known as Common Sense! ]