PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 20:22
umop apisdn

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PPSS
Guys I am trying to find a thread on the 'life in US' / living conditions etc. Can anyone throw some light on this please as the money earned on the regional carriers is minimal, does one have to struggle to make ends meet?
I was in your position too and wondering the same things when I came over. As others have said, location is key to answering your question.

Are you needing to support only yourself, or do you have a big family?

If only yourself or you and a spouse, then renting a room / one bedroom apartment is pretty reasonable in Chicago as an example to start out with.

I actually moved to Chicago mostly because I wouldn't need a car immediately. I still haven't gotten one 2.5 years later, so don't have any of those associated expenses.

I was fine with my wife and I on min pay, but it did include per diem and breaking guarantee every month. Min monthly guarantee will be a bit more of a struggle but not unworkable.

Chicago is a great place to hang out for a few years while you get your feet wet. Sure, it's traditionally expensive, but quite painless and actually quite cheap when you factor out a car.