PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 17:08
vee1-rotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR4051
Food and fuel relatively speaking. Fuel varies massively depending where you live. Health insurance and car insurance is ridiculously expensive compared to Aus. But on the plus side cars are a lot cheaper than Aus. Besides New York and Chicago, public transport over here leaves a lot to be desired. They seem to be mobile homeless shelters in most American cities. GoJet might be a bit of a gamble as there's rumors Compass will shut down this year. TSA has already announced its shutting down operations, so if Compass goes then Trans State Holdings with only have GoJet left. But who can predict the future in this wacky industry.
Just to add to this, yes car insurance is ridiculously expensive HOWEVER registration in a lot of places is cheap. I think I pay $200 a year here in Nevada, and the cost goes down every year as the vehicle depreciates. Compare this to Victoria where I used to live which I believe is up to around $800?

As MR4051 says, it's almost impossible to give you a good idea on cost of living until you refine the cities you would prefer to live in. San Diego CA vs Las Vegas NV vs Dallas TX ... there are all huge differences just between the 3.

Overall from what I've seen in my time over here, is starting wages in a lot of industries are terrible however loyalty is rewarded and a very comfortable salary can be attained within a few years.