PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Form 700 Avro Anson Mk1 N5130
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2020, 23:55
WB627

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
The date of the mid air that my Fil was involved in is currently unknown to me, however it was with another Anson in the Mona circuit, so in all probability from the same unit. It could have been a few days or a few weeks prior to the fatal accident on 16th Feb and would have depended on the availability of resources to carry out the repair.

There is/was some confusion over the date of the fatal accident, I correctly believed it was on 16th Feb, his 21st Birthday whilst he was home on leave, but the deaths of the crew who died are recorded in some cases as 15th. The ORB has the correct date of 16th. Final Descent by Terrance R Hill has the date incorrectly as 15th.

I have no reason to doubt my Fil regarding "a section of wing being grafted on" as I understand that this was a tried and trusted method of repair on wooden aircraft. A wing change I think would have would have been beyond the capability of the airfield infrastructure, which only had three tee hangars and seventeen blister hangers. I think a wing change would have also been a lot more work, engines off, wiring disconnected, controls disconnected etc involving a number of different trades and a lot of testing of systems once they had it back in one piece, rather than having a couple of chippies graft on 10ft of wing, which probably came from the 'graveyard'. I think they would have used a scarf joint...….

https://www.sweethaven02.com/Aviatio...k/ama_Ch06.pdf - Aircraft Wood and Structural Repair