PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knx Operators Hire Over The Top?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2003, 09:07
Checkerboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been up in the Kimberly's myself earlier this year and experienced it all first hand and having read all these posts I thought I might put in my 2 cents worth.

To all the guys and gals that went up to KNX looking for work this year I take my hat off to you. It takes a fair bit of courage to venture out of the comfort of the city and drive 3,000 kms to look for your first job and not being to sure what you are getting yourself into. To those that having not got a job and still choose to stay there, got a job at the pub or servo and wait it out I also take my hat off to you.

To the 11 guys I meet living in the converted coldroom paying $100 each a week to live in what was nothing short of 3rd world accommodation I understand where alot of the frustration comes from.

But a few points need to be made

i) The "general" as you want to call him was in a tuff position himself earlier this year. He was also just starting the job, feeling his feet etc. With so many guys all knocking on the door looking for work how can he distinguish between 40 of you all with 200 hours? He has to make some decisions and there is no way he could spend time with all of you. Dont hold it against him for that, he also had alot of other tasks to complete.

ii) It has been said here before, KNX is really not a good place to look for work if you only have 200 hrs. You all end up looking like a flock of sheep and your chance of standing out and getting hired amounst all the others is very slim. Your better off going to the smaller towns where there are a couple of operators and NO pilots waiting for a job. That way the companies WILL get to know you and when a position comes up you will be the only one there so you will be it!

iii) While all of you sat in KNX waiting by your phones there was a couple of jobs going only 100k's down the road but no one ever came to see us apart from the 2 people that made the effort to leave KNX and come and say hello, they both got the jobs!

Think outside the square and dont give Wayno such a hard time,he has a tough job.