PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2020, 21:48
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Rising Again

[QUOTE=Bill Macgillivray;10696720]Pobjoy,

I have tried to keep out of this debate for years. As an ex-ATC cadet who went solo in a T31 in 1953 and then joined the RAF as a pilot because of the influence of the ATC (and my desire) I am saddened to see the way things have gone! I am not out of touch, having been a CI at my local ATC squadron until a couple of years ago, and having flown gliders and various powered aircraft all my working life. I feel that the Air Training Corps (or Cadets, RAF Section?!) have lost their main reason for being! However, having followed this thread (and your first class explantions) I do sense that all is not lost with the people who really matter! Please keep up the good work!

Bill, Indeed I to am furious at the needless waste of resources, and loss of a valuable experience to a huge number of Cadets who have been badly let down.
However we have a new boss at 2 FTS who must be given the chance to see the organisation gets 'enabled' to rise again even though we know it not be to the same level. The two new return to flying operations both have a chance to help this situation. 615 Kenley is in a prime location for Cadet Squadrons to access, and I know that it will rise to the occasion because both 615 and Kenley have a history of survival, delivering the goods, and the will to provide an excellent service.
626 at Predannack is a remote location but has a fantastic site with lots of space. Staffing may well be an issue there, but if 2 FTS are allowed to think outside of the box and utilise outside temporary help then this could be a great summer camp location with perhaps some staff coming down to run continuous courses, in the same way Halesland operated. Once Cadets see the gliding opportunities coming online it will be an excellent chance for them to get stuck in and help out with staffing and then the process can build again. This is what the organisation needs, hands on association with aircraft you can actually help to handle and get to fly, that's what the Air Cadets should be about for those who are keen. A bit of a 'hill' to climb, but better than letting it go without a fight. Venture Adventure, and B...... the twitter and facebook brigade. Regards Pobjoy.