PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 mess Sydney
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2020, 22:28
Blueskymine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Arrive 20 minutes early............. whatever. My company gives me 60 minutes, I will arrive there by sign on time and my IPad gets taken out of my flight bag only at work. If it needs updating then it is done there and then, if my FO is not impressed then he or she can complain to someone else, why would I donate my own time to the company?

This is the attitude that stinks. It’s also quite prevalent.

As professionals we are paid to fly from A to B safely. A lot of that safety factor comes from updating and maintaining knowledge at home in your own time.

I always come to work having updated my EFB, with the draft flight plans ready to go. I’ve checked all the notams and weather for my route/s. I’ve checked the status of the aeroplane and considered any issues that may effect me.

Essentially by the time I’ve got a coffee and got to the meeting spot, I’m waiting for the final flight plan and considering how much extra fuel is going on.

We have enough stress in our day to day operations. We didn’t need to cram it all into the tiny window at sign on which doesn’t adequately prepare us for the day ahead.

It also reflects on your professionalism to the other guy who’s waiting for you while you drag your heels. He/she know that it’s going to be a reactive day verse a proactive day.