PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you allow a passenger to 'have a go' on the controls?
Old 25th Feb 2020, 20:32
Alpine Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
In Canada the regulations were amended to prohibit any non pilot touching the controls unless the PIC is an instructor. Before that I would put the right seat in charge of holding wings level and I would watch for traffic, talk to ATC, monitor the gauges and track, work out ETA (before GPS) and of course monitor "George" like a hawk after instructing. Took over approaching destination.
​​​​​
Pretty much the same for glider intros. After release, let them try out the controls and take back entering the circuit.

​​​​​​Do read the insurance policy.
The Canadian Regulation is stupid. I was allowed to handle controls of a Cessna 210 during cruise from about 5 years of age and had my own booster seat so I could actually look over the glare shield. (When not on controls I also operated gear and flaps on my dad's command at that age.) I have done so myself once I had a license of my own and can't see any harm in that during private flights as long as it's limited to safe phases of flight and the PIC monitors it and knows what he's doing.