PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Australia article - duff gen
Old 25th Feb 2020, 09:45
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Had an instructor student try and teach me that just this week in their stall briefing so yep still happening.I believe in the old pub45 they mentioned it at one point and it became the standard phrase that still gets repeated today - "pick up the wing with rudder".
A colleague of mine kindly sent this message today:
Quote:
"I managed to check out the reference to stall recovery and wing drop in my Flight Instructor Manual (Publication 45). My one is dated September 1975.

Exercise 9 (Stalling) has 2 references and I’ll quote them here:

Recovery when a wing drops

Use standard recovery i.e., simultaneous use of power and forward movement of the control column. In addition rudder must be used to prevent the nose of the aeroplane yawing into the direction of the lowered wing. The ailerons should be held neutral until control is regained, when the wings should be levelled. In aeroplanes where the ailerons remain effective beyond the critical angle, they may be used to regain or maintain lateral level in association with rudder.

Common Faults

When a wing drops at the stall the student instinctively tries to correct this with aileron. The use of ailerons at the point of the stall must be carefully explained to the student. Even if the use of ailerons at the stall is permitted in the type of aeroplane in use, the student must understand that in some types their use will aggravate the situation.

Clearly there is no mention of "picking up the wing with rudder" in DCA Publication 45 published in 1975. So where did this expression originate? Maybe around a local aero club bar in those far back days - picked up in turn from a beery wartime pilot and soon spread like the Corona Virus..