PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lack of PIC time for CPL-A
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2020, 04:49
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is does TC count copilot times on the bigger jets as a PIC time for the fulfillment of ATPL time requirement? I have around 5000 TT as a copilot on Boeing 767 and Airbus 330. Having only an ICAO CPL license. PIC time @ pilot training school was less than 100 hrs.
Nope. Captain logs the PIC time, FO logs FO time. The TC view is that only the person who is in command can log PIC time. The FO, while making decisions, is not ultimately in command.

With that said, what TC does permit is a PICUS program (Pilot-in-Command Under Supervision).

It requires that the company build the program into its operations and training manuals, you can't just decide to do it on your own with your buddies. Then, by regulation, you're only able to credit 50% of the time to a maximum of 100 credited hours (so 200 hours flown), and it must be flown within 12 months of your ATPL application. You generally need a letter from the company along with some sort of record that is countersigned by the Captains you fly with when you submit your license application. However, not every Captain agrees to PICUS flying, especially where the company doesn't pay them for it. I don't agree with that sentiment, but I do understand it. So, if you need the time, be ready to fork out the money. You might be better to see if a bunch of guys want to go in and buy an inexpensive Cessna 150 with you, or something like that. It might be cheaper overall than renting 50 hours at the local club.