PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lack of PIC time for CPL-A
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2020, 04:30
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am trying to convert my ICAO CPL to Canadian CPL. In our country it is allowed to log both PIC and Dual recieved when acting as a pilot-in-command and getting flight instructions from a CFI, provided that he doesn't touch flight controls.
As far as I got from Transport Canada, only one person on board may log PIC time, in my case, a CFI. So, I am missing ~50 PIC hours to achieve enough experience for CPL-A. Also,

421.30 Aeroplanes - Requirements

(ii) following the issuance of a private pilot licence — aeroplane by Canada or another contracting state, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training in aeroplanes consisting of a minimum of:
(B) 30 hours solo flight time including:
  • (I) ...a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure; and
  • (II) 5 hours solo flight time by night during which a minimum of 10 takeoffs, circuits and landings were completed.
...these conditions are not met. Can I just get a Foreign License Validation Certificate, go to a Canadian flight school and fly that 50 hours PIC+some night circuits and a cross country flight landing at 3 different airports?
Would TC consider that flight experience as a part of commercial flight training?

Thanks.
Yes. When you get to Canada, or if you are here, go into the local TC office. They can issue you an FLVC on your current license, but because you're short hours to hold the Canadian equivalent, you'll only get an FLVC to a PPL level. That will let you build your PIC time to the minimum required to hold the license. Once you have the time, you'll then have to do the Canadian CPL flight test. You won't just automatically get the Canadian CPL as your FLVC would only be for the PPL. I did something very similar back in 2007 or 2008 when I moved back to Canada with a CPL from New Zealand. It's no big deal. Do the hours, do the flight test, and off you go.