PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Australia article - duff gen
Old 25th Feb 2020, 00:08
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Centaurus, greetings from the northern hemisphere!

I learned to fly in 1967 in a Fleet-80 Canuck. Stalls and full spins, not just incipient spins, were part of the private licence course. I remember when the early Cessna products came out, (152, etc.) and those aircraft were prohibited from spinning, and that ended the kind of training which I thought at the time was exceedingly valuable.

The "mythology", if I may, behind "not using aileron" vice using aileron to do so, has grown into something that was perhaps not intended when orginally stated in print and taught, at least here in Canada.

In demonstrating/teaching the stall, there wan't much said about the ailerons at the time. The emphasis was on lowering the nose, adding power and using opposite rudder to stop the spin. When the airplane was unstalled, the ailerons were used to level the wings.

From a Canadian Flying Training Manual by the Department of Transport - Civil Aviation Branch in Chapter VIII, On Stalling;
On some types of aeroplanes, especially those with sharply tapered wings, one wing may go down at the same time as the nose, and it is also common on some types for the aeroplane to attempt to flick or roll when stalled with the engine on. If this happens, keep straight with rudder and unstall the aeroplane by moving the control column forward. An attempt to level the wings with the ailerons at the point of stall may be quite ineffective or may even have the opposite effect to that desired; if for instance, an aileron is lowered in an attempt to raise the wing that has gone down the effect may be to stall the wing more completely and cause a loss of lift and increase the drag on that wing. Once, however, the angle of attack is reduced to below the stallng angle the ailerons become again the obvious and natural method for raise the wing.
...etc.
:

Obviously aircraft which are not of the type considered in the above document will possibly have slightly different recovery techniques.

PJ2