PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 mess Sydney
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2020, 09:21
Cessna Jockey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheels_down
The ATSB normally include Fatigue in many investigations, and if crew did/did not feel any form of fatigue on the said shift. They normally also state the duty crew were flying, previous days etc..We don't know this but your point is very valid, the fact that Positive Climb/Gear Up was missed, but they thought they said it, reeks of Fatigue.

However there is nothing in there nor anything surrounding crew hours or total time.

If they did accept a fatigue issue in some form, I would expect the ATSB to include that in the report, not private discussions between itself and the operator on if they want this info put into a public final report. That sort of rubbish and cover up I would expect in some neighbouring countries. If they didn't acknowledge any form of Fatigue and were well rested, then they need to state this also. For the benefit of all.

I see your point but whilst we pretend we operate within a “just culture”, the reality is the moment you admit you were fatigued, it comes back to bite you with “then why did you continue to operate”. The responsibility rests with the crew member to self assess, and if you chose to continue then the outcome will likely be just as harsh. Sometimes it’s easier to just fall on your sword and just admit you stuffed up.

The ADSB would have looked at their rosters and flight/duty hours from a legal standpoint, and no doubt they would be legal. But as we know, just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right. I’m currently on my fifth early in a row and I’m absolutely shagged - 3am call outs, as well as 4am and 5am alarms all week for 4 sector days. I’ll have just one day off before switching to lates.

How long have CASA delayed the new CAO48 for the benefit of the airlines? It’s astounding